Having trouble sleeping? Here are some Insomnia tips...
Sleep is a wonderful thing that we take for granted, that is until we can't sleep. If Insomnia starts to take over our life then bedtime can feel daunting.
Here are some simple tips to help you overcome insomnia:
There are all sorts of remedies for sleep problems, some are more effective than others, but one of the most important things is a good bedtime routine. If you go to bed at a regular time you allow your brain to build a 'pattern of behaviour' and this helps the mind sleep.
So try the following to improve your sleep pattern:
1. Try going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day, whether you're tired or not.
2. Making sure your bedroom is at the right temperature and that it's quiet (don't have a TV in your bedroom).
3. Exercise each day, even if it's only moderate, such as swimming or walking. People sleep significantly better and feel more alert during the day if they get at least 150 minutes of exercise a week (Science Daily Nov 2011).
4. Avoiding stimulants such as caffeine before going to bed - try a milky drink instead.
5. Avoid alcohol as this encourages unnatural sleep. You may fall asleep easily, but you'll almost certainly wake up during the night.
6. Don't eat or drink a lot late at night.
7. Try relaxation techniques before going to bed, such as yoga, hypnosis or simply listening to music.
If you can't sleep, don't lie there worrying about it. Get up again and do something relaxing such as reading or having a bath.
If your sleep problem persists, seek help. It is strongly advisable to visit your GP and therapies such as Hypnotherapy, Acupuncture, and Aromatherapy can really help as long as there are no underlying health issues causing the insomnia.
Tammy Foley is a Solution Focused Hypnotherapist practising in Jameston. Call 07792 706 275 to book a free initial consultation.